Visits to coastal cities of Ukraine promoting EMBLAS-Plus findings
- November 20, 2019
After the schools with regional journalists, there were a number of requests coming from coastal cities (NGOs and journalists) in Ukraine to learn more about the project and have presentation of the Cousteau infographics for them. Traditionally most of PR events of the project were concentrated in Odesa and Kyiv, so such invitations were much appreciated. Such invitations came from Mykolaiv (NGO “Association of Tourism Development in Mykolaiv region”) and Kherson (NGO «Regional Council of Entrepreneurs» – the NGO, who got awarded the pilot project from EMBLAS-Plus).
Mykolaiv, 12 November 2019
The presentation was held in Mykolaiv main library (the premises, including equipment was provided by the organizers) (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Participants of the presentation
The event united more than 100 people, covering the following groups:
- Teachers of geography and biology from coastal area (as a part of their development of vocational competence)
- Representatives of Mykolaiv ship construction university
- Management of the NPP “Tiligul lymans”
- School children
- Media (2 Tv channels).
The agenda included:
- Presentation of Dr. Andriy Zotov on Joint Black Sea surveys (with the focus on the ship, equipment used and methods applied on request of Mykolaiv ship Construction University) (Figure 2);
- Presentation of Dr. Evgen Dykyi on the main findings of the Joint Black Sea surveys;
- Awarding procedure of the school children for their video to the Black Sea Day (4 schools). The schools got large printed collection of the Cousteau infographics (Figure 3).
The visibility of the Project and EU-funding was assured by the background cover of the event as well as by infographics developed jointly with Cousteau society as well as by showing the movie about the project “It is My Black Sea”. The project team also have mentioned EU and UNDP support (both financial and scientific) in the speeches and interviews. Below are the links to Mykolaiv main TV channel and its two reports (one from the event and second in studio).
There was an alive discussion after the presentation focusing mainly on the capacities of Ukraine to make independent marine surveys and future ships needed for this. The discussion was continued in the National Institute of Underwater techniques, where Academician Blintsov showed the least underwater drones and other robots who can do sophisticated work in the marine floor. Later Dr. Shulga showed Mykolaiv astrometric observatory.
Expression of gratitude
Many thanks to Tetyana Chichkalyuk, Nikolay Grubyy (Association of Tourism of Mykolaiv Oblast) for great organizational support, and National Institute of Underwater Technologies, Mykolaiv astrometric observatory.
Kherson, 14 November 2019
The presentation was held again in the main library of the Kherson city (the premises, including equipment was provided by the organizers) (Figure 6 and 7).
Figure 6. Presentation in Kherson
The event includes around 60 people, mainly students and the universities and NGO «Regional Council of Entrepreneurs».
The agenda included:
- Presentation of the activities of the NGO «Regional Council of Entrepreneurs»
- Presentation of the pilot project awarded by the EMBLAS “The Black sea coast line of Kherson region without litter”
- Showing the videos: about the project “It is My Black Sea” and “Just like us”
- Presentation of Ms. Marushevska of main findings of EMBLAS project based on Cousteau infographics
- Interactive quiz from Ms. Surai regarding the Black Sea and key messages of the Project
- Awarding procedure of the school children for their video to the Black Sea Day (1 school). The schools got large printed collection of the Cousteau infographics.