Project Activity 4: Joint Open Sea Surveys (JOSS) – Implementation of the Joint Black Sea Surveys methodology along the lines of the MSFD, WFD and BSIMAP
(as stated in the progress report # 1 January 2016 – 31 July 2016)
The overall aim of this PA is to test the Joint Black Sea Surveys methodology (including sampling protocols, QA/QC, reporting & data management, etc.) within two surveys organised in June 2016 and June 2017 and promote its inclusion in BSIMAP to ensure sustainability of this kind of regional cooperation in BS monitoring. It will allow collection of valuable data to assist the Black Sea environmental assessment by taking into consideration the 5-yearly reports BSIMAP requirements.
Progress of work and delivered results
Similarly to the PA2, the focus of work was and is on preparation of the JOSS. The draft Manual for JOSS has been updated with the SOPs for chemistry, biology and marine litter. The Manual includes list of the surveys’ sampling sites, equipment, chemicals and consumables, sampling protocols, data reporting sheets, assessment methodology and a list of JOSS Core Team members, for all three participating countries. Separate JOSS Manuals were developed for Ukraine-Georgia and Russian Federation.
JOSS Georgia – Ukraine has been conducted from 23 till 27 May 2016 (Odessa – Batumi) and from 1 till 5 June 2016 (Batumi – Constanta). The first Draft Technical report from JOSS GE-UA was prepared by UKRSCES and shared for comments. Results of on-board measurements and analyses are available in excel format.
JOSS Russian Federation has been prepared, to be carried out at 12 stations in the Gelendzhik transect. The scope of reporting (data obtained from nationally funded surveys and data reporting formats) is now discussed with Russian partner organizations.
Planned activities until the end 2016
The activities until the end of 2016 will include laboratory analyses, evaluation of the results of JOSS from all three countries, data collection through the Data Collection Templates and their interpretation. The technical report is planned toward the end of 2016.
Due to administrative reasons, the Russian Part of the JOSS is being carried out separately, using the Research Vessel arranged by Russian Partner Organizations. The survey is planned on the 1st/2nd week of August 2016.
Overview on overall deliverables
- JOSS Manual based on the JOSS Methodology incl. list of the surveys sampling sites, equipment, chemicals and consumables, sampling protocols, data reporting sheets, assessment methodology and a list of JOSS Core Team members (read here)
- Technical reports of the JOSSs
- Data Collection Templates filled out with data uploaded into the BS WQD
- Filled out Data Collection Templates checked
- JOSS evaluation workshops
- Odessa JOSS press announcement in English and Ukrainian.
- Batumi JOSS press announcement in English and Georgian.
- Final post-press-release in English.
- First results of the Joint Black Sea surveys 2016 will be presented soon!
- Media about the Joint Black Sea Surveys
- Joint Black Sea Surveys
- Universite de Liege / Modelling for Aquatic System about the EMBLAS II Joint Black Sea Surveys